NS-PF 101 – Can You Afford To Buy A Home?
Buying your first home is a redonkulously big deal!!! We are so excited for you. But, let’s make sure you don’t end up HOUSE POOR. You can’t be on your best spending behavior for the next 25 years of your mortgage! Housing affordability is so much more than what a financial institution will lend you. This course is a First Time Home Buyers Survival Kit. Whether you’re buying in 3 months or 3 years from now, this course will help you understand how much you can afford to you can plan accordingly.
NOTE: Some legislation has changed since this course was created. Rest assured that the course still covers everything you need to know to buy a house and does include a mortgage stress test of 2%.
When you take this course you will:
- Understand how to use your money wisely for your down payment (and how much you should be aiming for – realistically)
- Know how your mortgage works, what you need to do and how to get the lowest rate
- Test your dream home to see if you’ll be house poor!
- Know the max mortgage amount that wouldn’t raise any of our HousePoor Red Flags
- Come up with a plan of attack. If you’re not there yet, find out what you need to do to get there!
What you get:
- One-year access to course tutorials
- A planning tool for life!
- First Time Home Buyers
- Buying a home (under 1 million) in Canada
- Using traditional down payment sources
- TFSA, RRSP, Non-Registered Savings, borrowed money, Gifts,
- Using traditional financing through primary lenders
- Ability to open excel spreadsheets, PDF documents, online video streaming (aka the Internet)
“[New School] did an exceptional job of explaining the process in terms that didn’t seem overwhelming. It also helped me set realistic expectations and goals. Shannon’s knowledge of closing costs, and other potential costs were extremely precise. I finished confident and ready to tackle the market knowing exactly what I could afford.”Spencer West, Author/Motivational Speaker, Loft Purchaser
“I love how Shannon made learning about housing finances fun and exciting. Money management does NOT have to be boring and Shannon is a wonderful example of that! She’s the best!”Amrit Signh, acupuncturist, Condo-Buyer
Meet Your Teacher
Shannon Lee Simmons
Shannon is a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Chartered Investment Manager (CIM), media personality, personal finance expert and founder of the New School of FinanceTM. She loves helping everyday people survive the new economic climate through personal finance, ethical investing and small business advice. Simmons is widely recognized as a trailblazer in the Canadian financial planning industry and an expert in Millennial personal finances and the digital world and it’s relationship to our money. She was named one of Canada’s Top 30 Under 30 and she recently won the 2014 Notable Award for Best In Finance. She is a regular financial expert on CTV News and also appears as a financial expert in the media, a regular contributor for Toronto Star’s Money Makeover and BBC Capital and host of Coral TV’s Money Awesomeness. Shannon travels across the country speaking for some of Canada’s largest corporations and universities including IBM Canada, The Canadian Women’s Foundation, University of Toronto, Ryerson University and Bishops University to name a few.
NOT SO FINE PRINT
- The content in this course is federally oriented for Canada. There may be additional provincial & municipal tax credits, deductions and programs for first time homebuyers that are outside the scope of this course.
- This course and the tool are not to be considered financial or tax advice. The information in this course is for educational purposes only as the information in the material may not totally address your specific financial situation.
- The tool is to be used for educational illustration purposes only. Outcomes that are run in the tests cannot be guaranteed.
- For all Quebec residents, the information given in this course is federally oriented but may not take specific tax differences for Quebec into account as Quebec residents may be subject to specific rules that are outside the scope of this course. We invite you to get in touch with us at [email protected] for more information before you purchase to confirm whether this course will suit your needs.
- This course does not replace the law found in the Income Tax Act or it’s Regulations.
- Les renseignements fournis dans le cadre de ce cours concernent surtout le palier fédéral et peuvent ne pas tenir compte des différentes règles fiscales auxquelles sont soumis les résidents du Québec. Nous vous encourageons à communiquer avec nous à l’adresse [email protected] pour obtenir de plus amples renseignements avant votre inscription, afin de vérifier si ce cours vous convient.
- All courses will be charged in USD (based on that day’s USD equivalent to the CAD course price). Your credit card may charge you a different exchange rate or additional fees for foreign transactions.